AACH Announces 2015 Board of Directors
David E. Kern, MD, MPH, MACP, Emeritus Professor of Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, will begin his one-year term as President of the American Academy of Communication in Healthcare (AACH) in January 2015. In 2015, AACH will implement a change to the governance structure where the roles of Board Chair and President are combined into one role with the title of President. Kern will preside over both the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors to allow for more streamlined communication and more nimble decision-making.
Kern succeeds Nan Cochran, MD, FAACH, Associate Professor of Medicine at the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth and the Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice, as AACH President. Cochran will continue to serve as a member of both the AACH Board of Directors and the AACH Executive Committee as Past President.
In addition, the AACH membership approved the appointment of two new officers and one new Executive Committee member for 2015:
- Auguste Fortin VI, MD, MPH, FACP, FAACH, Director of Psychosocial Curriculum for the Yale Primary Care Internal Medicine Residency Program, as AACH President-Elect.
- Francesca C. Dwamena, MD MS FAACH, Professor of Medicine, Adjunct Professor of Psychiatry, and Acting Chair of Medicine at Michigan State University, will serve as AACH Treasurer.
- Russell Rothman, MD, MPP, Director of the Vanderbilt Center for Health Services Research, will begin his two year term as AACH Vice President, Research.
Three new Board members were approved by the membership to serve two-year terms:
- Michael Farrell, MD, Associate Research Director, Aurora University of Wisconsin Medical Group
- Raymond Curry, MD, Professor of Medicine and Medical Education at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- Peter Weissmann, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine (Clinical Scholar Track), University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, Minnesota and Staff Physician, Minneapolis VA Medical Center
Continuing Executive Committee members include: Calvin Chou, MD, PhD, FAACH, AACH Vice President, External Education; Jenni Levy, MD, FAACH, AACH Vice President, Internal Education; and Elizabeth Ross, DPT, MMSc, AACH Vice President, Membership.
Continuing board members include: Mary Catherine Beach, MD, MPH; Denise Davis, MD; Orit Karnieli-Miller, PhD; and Somnath Saha, MD, MPH.
The Board of Directors is the governing body of AACH and represents the interests of the AACH members in directing the business of the Academy.